You Have A Right To Sue Harassing Debt Collectors
Debt collectors must treat you with truth, fairness, dignity and respect. Any debt collector who crosses the line and abuses you for the collection of consumer debt can be sued in federal court for damages under a law called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). This law was put in place to protect consumers from deceptive or predatory debt collectors.
What Are My Rights?
Many people’s rights are violated by debt collectors every year. Often, the debtors never report the crime simply because they don’t know what their rights are. The fact is, there are many things that debt collectors simply cannot do. If a debt collector breaks any of these rules, you may be able to file a lawsuit under the FDCPA:
- Threatening or filing lawsuits on credit accounts for more than five years after you made your last payment
- Threatening garnishment or liens before obtaining a judgment against you
- Threatening to arrest you for not paying a bill
- Calling your family, friends, neighbors or employers to collect a debt
- Leaving abusive phone messages
- Insulting, yelling or swearing at you
- Lying, threatening or otherwise harassing you in any way
You Can Strengthen Your Case
Evidence is important when attempting to punish creditors for FDCPA violations. If you are being abused by a debt collector, follow these steps:
- Save copies of all letters and notices from collection agencies.
- Save all phone messages and voice mails – this is very important.
- Make note of your conversations with these bill collectors.
- Call a consumer rights lawyer to help you recover your damages.
No Fee Unless We Recover Damages
The law says that any debt collector who violates your rights may be made to pay you damages of up to $1,000, actual damages, and attorney’s fees and costs if you win your FDCPA case.
Contact Us Today For Help
If you are being harassed by an abusive debt collector, contact Kansas City attorney Tracy L. Robinson. Our law firm, The Law Offices of Tracy L. Robinson, LC, is dedicated to protecting the rights of Kansas and Missouri residents who have been wronged by creditors. We have convenient office locations in downtown Kansas City, Lee’s Summit and Zona Rosa. Send us an email or call us at 816-842-1317 to set up a free initial consultation.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.